The Living Classroom is a huge educational resource for schools linking in with 70% of the curriculum.
A school garden is a great addition to your school. Children learn and have fun in a natural ever-changing environment where they get to appreciate nature, nutrition, and even how maths, reading, geography and history can be fun and how they fit into and influence our day to day lives. They get to learn in a new and exciting way.
Benefits of a School Garden
- Demonstrates important examples of native habitats, biodiversity, the balance of nature and the web of life.
- Teaches children how to grow local organic food without using chemicals.
- Used as an outdoor classroom linking in with 70% of the curriculum.
- Hands-on practical sessions promotes sensory, experiential and fun learning which helps to develop a well-balanced individual.
- Fully supports the Green Flag Programme.
Publications & Online Resources
A list of everything you need for starting a garden (enough for 1 class), with information on funding the garden and advice on managing the class outside.
Bord Bia Organic Gardening for Primary Schools
These resources show teachers and pupils how to plan, build, develop and maintain a school garden using organic principles.
Paddy Madden's School Garden
Comprising of video clips, clear instructions and beautiful illustrations, these resources have everything you might need to know about creating a School Garden or many other environmental activities. The projects are simple but effective, applicable throughout the year and incorporating recycled materials.
- Watch Video Clips
- Test on Potato Growing Mediums
- A Vegetable Growing Plan for Schools: Infants to 6th class (Word Document)
- The School Garden: Digging into the Research (PowerPoint)
InTouch Magazine Articles
A series of articles written by Paddy Madden for InTouch Magazine, the monthly journal of the Irish National Teachers' Organisation (INTO). You can download the articles in PDF format.
View our growing list of books, DVDs and resource packs especially developed for schools.